Angels of God have been commissioned to this earth as “ministering spirits” (see Hebrews 1:14) to present “to us the righteousness of Christ, justification by faith, the exceeding great and precious promises of God’s word, free access to the Father by Christ, the comfort of the Spirit, the well-grounded assurance of eternal life in the kingdom of God. …
“In heaven it is said by the ministering angels: The ministry which we have been commissioned to perform we have done.
· “We pressed back the army of evil angels.
· “We sent brightness and light into the souls of men, quickening their memory of the love of God expressed in Jesus.
· “We attracted their eyes to the cross of Christ.
· “Their hearts were deeply moved by a sense of the sin that crucified the Son of God.
· “They were convicted.
· “They saw the steps to be taken in conversion;
· “They felt the power of the gospel;
· “Their hearts were made tender as they saw the sweetness of the love of God.
· “They beheld the beauty of the character of Christ.” Christ’s Object Lessons, 317, 318.
What a most wonderful ministry the angels carry out and with great joy are able to report! As I read, excitement filled my heart and I praised God. Then read the following:
· “With the many it was all in vain. [It was unsuccessful, without effect.]
· “They would not surrender their own habits and character.
· “They would not put off the garments of earth in order to be clothed with the robe of heaven.
· “Their hearts were given to covetousness.
· “They loved the associations of the world more than they loved their God.” Ibid., 318.
Oh, what sad statements by the angels who anxiously minister for each of their charges. I pray that it is with great joy that the angels return with a good report and that none of us finds the garments of earth more desirable than the robe of heaven. How tragic it will be and what a terrible loss it will be when we each face eternity if the invitation has been rejected.
“Sad will be the retrospect in that day when men stand face to face with eternity. The whole life will present itself just as it has been. The world’s pleasures, riches, and honors will not then seem so important. Men will then see that the righteousness they despised is alone of value. They will see that they have fashioned their characters under the deceptive allurements of Satan. The garments they have chosen are the badge of their allegiance to the first great apostate. Then they will see the results of their choice. They will have a knowledge of what it means to transgress the commandments of God. …
“The days of our probation are fast closing. The end is near. To us the warning is given, ‘Take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.’ Luke 21:34. Beware lest it find you unready. Take heed lest you be found at the King’s feast without a wedding garment.” Ibid., 318, 319.
Father, walk with me this day that my heart will not be drawn away from heavenly places. I choose to surrender my habits and character to you and to put off the garments of earth in exchange for Your heavenly garments. Remove the love of the world from my heart and replace it with the love of Jesus.